Nixyaawii start of school information is available on the 4 attachments listed below. Please read the Parent Start Up letter, the NCS Reopening Plan, and the Operational Blueprint. The 2021 calendar is also attached. The first day of school at Nixyaawii is Monday, August 24, 2020.
August 5, 2020
Dear Golden Eagle Families,
I hope all is well and you have enjoyed your summer break. The beginning of the
school year is going to look a little different this year. As you all know, we are
mandated by the State of Oregon to begin the year with Comprehensive Distance
Learning (CDL). This will look far different from last year when we had our emergency
closure. The staff at NCS is working hard to prepare to give your student the best
education under our current circumstances.
Nixyaawii Community School CDL Basics
- All students will be required to participate in “live” class instruction according
to our school calendar. This is per the guidance given from Oregon
Department of Education.
- CDL will be operating synchronously with students in their current class
schedule in a virtual setting
- All teachers will be using Google Classroom and Google Meets as their
- Live instruction can be recorded and uploaded daily for additional support or
in case of absences
- Teachers will take attendance and give grades daily. Grades may be given
for participation, bell work, exit ticket, homework, etc.
- We will have 4 classes daily (see schedule)
- Advisory will be a new class for NCS it will be 4th period. Every student will
have an advisory class and credit will be given for this class. This is a time
for teachers to check-in with small groups of students to support their social-
emotional learning and do small group activities.
- Chromebook and textbook Check-in and Checkout will be held on
August 18,19,20 from 8am-3pm. We need all textbooks and
chromebooks from last spring so we can re-issue them.
- Classes will start August 24th at 9AM on line
Schedule for CDL
Monday and Wednesday Tuesday and Thursday
Period 1 9:00-9:54 Period 4 9:00-9:54
Period 2 10:00-10:54 Period 5 10:00-10:54
Period 3 11:00-11:54 Period 7 11:00-11:54
Period 6 12:00-12:54 Period 8 12:00-12:54
Lunch 12:54-1:30 Lunch 12:54-1:30
Teacher Office Hours 1:30-3:30
Office Hours will be daily for teacher/student activities:
- Communication between students, teacher, parents
- Applied learning experiences
- Accessing video lessons posted to google classroom
- Individual support
- Homework and practice time
- Meeting social-emotional needs
Please follow the website, email, and facebook page for current updates. Remember
we are all in this together and we strive to do our best. Please call with any questions.
Ryan Heinrich, Principal
NCS Golden Eagles